Alvi Education and Health Care Foundation is a not-for-profit development organization working to ensure sustainable livelihoods, promote human rights, and build capacity of the poor, disadvantaged section of society, which is exposed to natural disasters, various forms of discrimination, frequent human rights violations, and lacks access to proper healthcare, government’s social protection measures, basic education, and easy-to-avail income-generating opportunities. In existence since 1996, the organization has been working through intense engagement with local communities in four districts and eight locations across the country. Alvi Education and Health Care Foundation has its roots in the aftermath of the disastrous 1988 flooding which sent nearly three-fourths of the country’s landscape under water, claiming lives and destroying crops and properties. In Gazipur, which stands on the bank of the treacherous Turag River, some local youths came close to the disaster-hit people and watched the harsh realities they were facing while conducting voluntary relief works. They were involved with the national and international NGOs that came forward to provide succor to the victims of this deluge. In the process, the youths realized that mere relief and rehabilitation operations would not end the scourge of distress of the victims permanently and bring about sustainable development. It needs need-based, participatory programmes with definite goals and objectives. When they shared their ideas with the donor agencies, some of them responded positively. With further efforts, they founded Alvi Education and Health Care Foundation in 1996, mainly to strengthen the capacity of the targeted beneficiaries and create opportunities for bringing them in the mainstream of development. The organisation always puts particular emphasis on women empowerment, gender equality, human rights, and environmental protection. Through its two decades of work, Alvi Education and Health Care Foundation has become a symbol of hope for the poor local community.
To contribute to building an equal society, in which the disadvantaged section will be guaranteed justice and security.
To help improve the living standards of the poor population through their involvement in sustainable income generating activities for socio-economic emancipation.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To engage the target beneficiaries in building grassroots level associations
- To encourage the group members to have saving schemes
- To impart human development and skill-up trainings to the beneficiaries
- To create employment opportunities for the beneficiaries by providing them with micro-credit and other support services to the IGA taken by them
- To operate centres for post-literacy education for human development
- To conduct motivational campaigns and provide need-based support on sanitation, health education, hygiene, and safe drinking
- To raise environmental awareness, help create social forestry, and ensure people’s participation in protecting the environment
- To promote and support innovative agricultural enterprises
- To mobilize local resources to help beneficiaries raise their incomes and create employment
- To raise awareness in the vulnerable communities about disaster preparedness and organize relief and rehabilitation programs
- To raise awareness on disabilities, develop skills of persons with disability and support rehabilitation initiatives for them
- To build the capacity of grassroots level government and partner organizations in planning and implementing local development initiatives
- To initiate and implement structural and non-structural flood mitigation activities
- To establish gender equality and human rights (especially woman and child rights)
LEGAL STATUS OF THE ORGANIZATION
Alvi Education Health Care Foundation is registered with the Department of Social Welfare under the Department of Social Welfare; Registration Number: S-7904 (1094),
ETIN : 871043884411
Bank Accont details
Union Bank LimitedUttara Branch
Account Name: Alvi Education and Health Care FoundationAccount Number: 0271010005276